Here are three ideas for super cute super easy last minute DIY Valentine Decor. Both of these DIY Valentine Decor ideas cost only a few dollars to create. The supplies came from Wal-Mart and Dollar Tree.
Valentine Decor DIY #1: I Heart U
This easy last minute DIY Valentine Decor project is inspired by a pin I found of a product that is no longer available on Etsy. It was a simple printable that I thought would be fun to make 3 dimensional. I was really happy with the way it turned out. The frame I used was a thrifted item but it is really easy to find similar items.
Supplies for Valentine Decor DIY #1
- A package of wood letters (also available at Wal-Mart)
- A small wood heart
- Tacky Glue
- A red paint pen or red paint
- Black or white paint*
- Painter’s Tape
- Paint Brush
- A frame for a 5 x 7 picture (the frame will measure approx. 9 inches by 7 inches) and a piece of white or black cardstock to fit the frame.
- OR an 8×10 canvas (black or white)*
* this craft could be made using white letters on a black background or black letters on a white background.
Instructions for Valentine Decor DIY #1
- Remove the letters A through N and P through Z from the package. Set the I and U to the side.
- Lay out painters’ tape on your work surface as shown in the picture and place the letters A through H, J through N and P through Z on the tape.
- Paint the letters either black or white, make sure the paint covers the side edges.
- Lay out painters’ tape on your work surface as shown in the picture and place the letters I and U and the heart on the tape.
- Paint the I, U and heart red.
- If using a frame, remove the glass and mat from the frame. Cut a piece of cardstock to fit the frame and reassemble the frame.
- When all the letters and heart are dry, lay them out on to your canvas or your cardstock as shown in the picture.
- When you are happy with the layout, use tacky to glue on all the letters and the heart.
- Display your easy last minute DIY Valentine decor project or wrap it to give as a handmade valentine gift.
This craft is also very cute as a printable or if you prefer vinyl over wooden letters and paint, you could do that too. You can find png, jpeg and svg files here. The image files could be put in a frame or decoupaged to a craft blank. The svg files can be used in any cutting machine.
Valentine Decor DIY #2: Love Connection
This easy last minute DIY Valentine Decor project only requires a few supplies and can be made quickly. This DIY would also make a great handmade Valentine gift.
Supplies for Valentine Decor DIY #2
- Gold paint pen (or white)
- 2 small wooden hearts
- Red paint (pink would be a cute option)
- Antique Wax
- Love Valentine’s Day DIY Word (Dollar Tree product)
- Paint Brush
- Baby Wipe
- Tacky Glue
Instructions for Valentine Decor DIY #2
- Use the Antique Wax to “stain” the front of the wood word
- Use a paint brush to apply a liberal amount to the word
- Use the baby wipe to wipe away the extra
- Paint two wooden hearts red. The easy way to do that is to use a loop of tape to tape them to your work surface.
- Once the word and the hearts are dry, use tacky glue to glue a heart on to each end of the word as shown in the picture at the top of the post.
- Once the glue is dry, take your paint pen and write the words on the hearts (see close up pictures below) and the dashed line on the wood word. Be sure to test your paint pen before you start to make sure the paint is flowing steadily. If you are not accustomed to writing in cursive, practice on paper first and then lightly sketch the letters on the hearts with a pencil. Go over your markings with your paint pen.
- Display your easy last minute DIY Valentine decor project or wrap it to give as a handmade valentine gift
Valentine Decor DIY #3: Be Mine Garland
This easy last minute DIY Valentine Decor project is an inexpensive way to make your house festive and cheerful on Valentine’s Day! The free file contains the banner pieces and the small red hearts used as spacers. Its a DIY Valentines garland to hang on your mantle, across a large window or in a wide doorway.
Supplies for Valentine Decor DIY #3
- Freebie File BeMineGarland.pdf
- 6 sheets of 8.5 x 11 white cardstock
- A straw
- Tacky Glue
- Clear tape
- Hole Punch or Crop-a-dile
- an 8ft piece of chunky white yarn, thin white rope or 1/4″ white ribbon
Instructions for Valentine Decor DIY #3
- Print out the file on white cardstock. All of the pages are shown in the picture below.
- Trim banner pieces and punch holes in the upper corners. I suggest putting a bit of clear tape on the back before you punch the hole to reinforce the banner piece.
- Cut out the 11 small red hearts. There are a few extras incase you need them.
- Glue a short piece of straw (about an inch) to the center back of the little hearts.
- String the hearts and banner pieces on to the chunky white yarn, thin rope or ribbon. Follow the diagram in the picture below. In the picture the pieces are shown face down. Thread the yarn through the straw on the back of one of the hearts. Bring the yarn to the front and through the hole in the top corner of the banner piece. Take the yarn across the back of the banner piece and through the hole on the other side. Now string on a second heart. Continue stringing the pieces on in this manner.
- Hang the garland from your mantle, in a doorway or across a window.
I hope you are inspired to create one of these DIYs or use the free printables. It is fun to add a touch of Valentine decor to the home. It helps banish those winter blahs.
If you are interested in a more challenging project, you could make the heart-shaped wreath in this post using Valentine themed ribbon.